2nd ODI washed out in Dambulla after Taskin’s hat-trick

Taskin's Hat-tric

widenews desk: Second ODI between Sri Lanka v Bangladesh washed out due to incessant rain after Taskin Ahmed hat-trick on 28 March in Dambulla. Play was called off at 8.45pm, an hour and 15 minutes before the cut-off time.

It was an anti-climax after the game was shaping up to be a rigorous contest. Kusal Mendis’ maiden ODI hundred took Sri Lanka to a challenging 311.

No side has ever successfully chased down over 300 in an ODI in Sri Lanka and the weather denied Bangladesh the chance to become the first.

Taskin Ahmed’s hat-trick in the last over stopped off a fine last 10 overs for Bangladesh. Taskin was the fifth Bangladeshi after Shahadat Hossain, Abdur Razzak, Rubel Hossain and Taijul Islam to reach this milestone, which he celebrated with his typical spread-eagle celebration.

The 21-year-old seamer had Asela Gunaratne and Suranga Lakmal caught before bowling Nuwan Pradeep with a yorker to end the Sri Lanka innings.

However, Taskin’s hat-trick ball proved to be the last of the match as rain came down during the innings break with no more action possible before the umpires were forced to abandon the game.

While Taskin (4-47) will take the plaudits following his hat-trick, it was Sri Lanka who appeared to have the upper hand at the halfway stage after Kusal Mendis’ (102) maiden ODI century had taken them to 311 from 49.5 overs.

Bangladesh got into the game was thanks largely to a lower-order collapse from the hosts – they lost their last six wickets for 40 to end up at least 20 short of what they looked set to get. Mendis built the platform through two vital stands- 111 for the second wicket with Upul Tharanga and 83 for the third wicket with Dinesh Chandimal before the collapse.

Mendis’ dismissal – taken off the rebound by Taskin on his follow through – left Sri Lanka at 216 for 4 in the 38th over. Milinda Siriwardana and Asela Gunaratne then patched things together with a 55-run stand for the fifth wicket.

Mehedi who dropped Siriwardana on 24 at midwicket had the last laugh when he bowled him in the next over. Gunaratne though continued to bring out his paddles and the big heaves to hit a 29-ball 39 to take Sri Lanka past 300 before Taskin took centrestage in the final over. However, rain had the final say.

The result means Bangladesh maintain their 1-0 series lead going into the the third and final ODI on Saturday.


Be the first to comment on "2nd ODI washed out in Dambulla after Taskin’s hat-trick"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


Pin It on Pinterest